Message sent from:
Dracup Road, Bradford
West Yorkshire,
01274 578286

Free School Meals

What is it?

Free School Meals pays for a school lunch for your child.

Free School Meals are available to children of parents/guardians who live in the Bradford area. Children must attend a tax-payer funded nursery or school full time. Pupils who attend part time can get Free School Meals for any days they attend both before AND after lunch.

Also, the parent / guardian must get one of the following:

  • Child Tax Credit, (but not Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (for this, you will need to apply directly to the school, NOT to Bradford Council).

*Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ (the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit) their children are entitled to free school meals for this period.

How do I apply for free school meals?

There are now 3 easy ways to apply for free school meals:

If you apply on-line before 11am and the council can validate your claim, your child(ren) will receive a free school meal on the same day.

The on-line form can be completed directly by you only if you are in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or the Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit.

How often do I have to apply?

You should apply when you first start to receive benefit. You will receive automatic notification when your application is due for renewal.

How is it paid?

High School children receive tokens to purchase their midday meals at school on a weekly basis. Primary School children are simply marked into the dinner register, whether free or paid meals, and receive a school meal each day.

What if my circumstances change?

You should notify the school and also the Education Welfare Department of any changes:

  • if you start work and come off benefits
  • if you change address
  • if your child changes school

Early Years Pupil Premium

This applies to children currently in Nursery.


If you or your partner claims out-of-work benefits, your childcare provider/school can claim up to £300 of additional funding for their free early education. This money will help provide activities and new equipment to benefit your child.


Please follow the link to check eligibility.



Hit enter to search